Executive Board (CVB)
The chair works together with the Management Team, which consists of three directors: Ben Zegers (director of Bachelor’s education), Jurgen Bey (director of Master’s education / Sandberg Institute) and Judith Kroon (director of Facilities). The Executive Board is supported by a compact staff organization consisting of a secretariat, two policy officers and the departments of human resources, financial affairs, facilities and student affairs.
The CvB is the body that manages the institution and makes decisions, in consultation with other organisations and positions in the school.
The MR is the participation council in which representatives of the staff and of the students are assembled. The MR has fourteen seats of which seven are for students representation and seven for staff representation (teachers, workshops and administration). The MR deals with issues concerning Rietveld and Sandberg. It advises the CvB on matters such as the quality of the education, employment, diversity, budget, work pressure, amongst others. It meets about eight times a year to discuss the matter at stake. The MR meetings are open to members of the academic community. This is the most formal, legal representative body in the school. You can join the MR by taking part in the early elections, which occur in May. This is a paid position.
Addressing the MR or requesting information is possible by writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Supervisory Board (RVT)
- Judith van Kranendonk (started in 2016), supervisor and director, chairman & member of the Remuneration Committee
- Martijn Groep (started in 2023), independent advisor, member and chairman of the audit committee
- Margit Lukacs (appointed 2016), visual artist, member of the Education and Research Committee and member of the Renumeration Committee AI
- Wayne Modest (appointed 2020), director of the Research Center for Material Culture (RCMC) and professor by special appointment of Material Culture and Critical Heritage Studies at the Faculty of Humanities at VU University Amsterdam, member of the Education and Research Committee
- Steven ten Thije (appointed 2016), Head of the Van Abbemuseum Collections, member of the Audit Committee.
The supervisory board, as its name suggests, supervises the policy and day-to-day management of the CvB. The supervisory body monitors the work of the Executive Board and advises and supports them, it looks at the results delivered by the Executive Board, checks whether the laws and regulations are being complied with and supervises the integrity of the board. It also meets with the MR.
This is a government required participation body within which students and teachers consult about the quality of education provided in their program(s) and its organisation. The body advises on curricula design, quality control and policy-making. The Rietveld and Sandberg have separate OC’s.